Re: Suggestion: wipe the current server

Kr0nic wrote:

id imagine he could just host another copy of faldon on the same server easily there is next to nobody on it lol.

That's why I suggested a VM. But, let's pretend like that's not an option. Maybe Faldon is already running on a VM on some over crowded server he's using for 10 other bastard services he's created over the years.  I'll pay to have it hosted, for a year.

(The Enlightened Ones)

In retirement till faldon has something for players over level 300 to do.

I don't think server resources will be a problem, he's already using the separate VM setup to host the test server.

Ok, I guess at this point I really can't think of a con. Other than taking a few hours to get a new server configured, and make a few changes to the launcher to be able to select server, I really can't imagine a reason for not launching a new server.

(The Enlightened Ones)

Mechanic wrote:

Ok, I guess at this point I really can't think of a con. Other than taking a few hours to get a new server configured, and make a few changes to the launcher to be able to select server, I really can't imagine a reason for not launching a new server.

Yeah it would take him next to no time at all to do, and it would make alot of people that have been waiting for a new start for years come back.

Best Player Alive.

doesnt take long for the hype to die down no wonder nothing ever gets done lol

Best Player Alive.

Kr0nic wrote:
Mechanic wrote:

Yeah it would take him next to no time at all to do, and it would make alot of people that have been waiting for a new start for years come back.

I've been waiting for the new client/server for years to start playing again. It was the only reason I trolled the forums, I was periodically checking the status... hoping... but that's no longer a possibility. A wipe would be a good chance to get back to Faldon.

Angeldust,

yeah its the only reason ive been hanging out, ive even been buying c for the past 4 years (only played about 20 days lol) trying to give some incentive to do something but it makes no difference  big_smile

Last edited by Kr0nic (May 28th, 2015 8:30 AM)

Best Player Alive.

Wipe it.

(The Enlightened Ones)

Wipe

Best Player Alive.

Mechanic wrote:

Wipe it.

Kr0nic wrote:

Wipe

I would eat a Panda

wipe

Best Player Alive.

I seriously doubt Zer will ever wipe the server, or create a new one, simply because of all the ridiculously high levels (1k+ers), because basicly if a new server came about, their characters and all their stuff will become worthless, as everyone and all the comings and goings will be on the new server. As for transferring their characters and items to the new server... well that would be completely against the whole point of a new server to begin with! It's a no win situation, and the sad truth is Faldon is most likely being run into the ground and forgotton for the sake of the few people who don't want to start again, for the sake of the game or their own rankings and stuff actually being worth something or matter!

Last edited by Meanstreak (July 4th, 2015 11:59 AM)

You know, everybody is so caught up on this whole losing stuff with a wipe or having an unfair advantage on a new server.
A wipe isn't going to happen, and if it does it'll probably be meant for new players without a care in the world of trying to keep the whopping 10-15 old ones that have stuck around all this time.  I mean, let's face it...  A business doesn't grow by having the same people keep coming back.  That just keeps it from falling under or slows the pace at which it does.

But a simple solution would be to give each current player a one-time bonus based on some aspect of their current character set.  Frankly IDGAF what that might be, just saying it's a possibility.  Say, perhaps, a special-made piece of armor or weapon that deals/blocks damage based on the highest level you attained on a character on the current server, or maybe based on the total XP gained across all characters on an account of your choice (obviously only one you have access to).  Would this give an unfair advantage?  Yep.  Could it be scaled to only be advantageous early on?  Yep.  Would cheaters get more of a bonus than the rest?  Yep.  Would any of this change anything at all about the way we as players bitch and moan about the game?  Not one damn bit.   wink

When it comes down to it, this is the only game I've ever played that has spent so much time trying to appease the players.  Most games take some ideas, release something, and then say fuck you if you don't like it.  And you know what happens?  We as players suck it up and play the fucking game.

Honestly I'm just trying to be cantankerous.  It's a new word I learned today and now I feel special by applying it ever so slightly incorrectly.  Much love bitches.  Miss you all.  Can't wait to get internet back so I can resume my spot as top AFK'er.

2013 MS3 w/SRI, TIP, FPI, CT 302WHP

"If you have never made a mistake, then you have never done anything of significance."

Please ignore everything they have said, Wipe.

Best Player Alive.

Kr0nic wrote:

Please ignore everything they have said, Wipe.

I second this motion.

(The Enlightened Ones)

Mr Spy wrote:

Assuming Zer would be on board for a wipe, just resetting all characters will not be enough. Sure it'll be interesting for a while but there's major underlying flaws in various parts of the game that need adjusting for it to be successful.

Also, an alternative for a wipe could be a different server. The current one could be abandoned and left to whoever wants to remain on there.

In any case, we will need a list of NPCs/spawns/features that would need to be changed/removed/added for a restart to be successful. Let's make that list?

I know I'm late to the party, but a few things that can be changed without any re-coding would be:

- Redoing the stats of items so that there's multiple linear progression paths with weapons.  Right now, at least 80% of the items in the game are unbalanced for their level and requirements.  Most items are completely useless outside of the Faldon fashion show.  The gear that you work for at level 100 is the same gear you wear at level 500.  A claymore shouldn't be the only non-unique weapon to level with.  An Arctic Blade shouldn't be the be-all end-all of weapons without some sort of weapons to parody their power in swords, maces, weapon/shield, ect.

- Monster drops should be on-par with their level.  There's no reason that Blue Dragons drop more gold/items than the next progression Dires -> Tigers.  There's no reason for round shields and chainmail to drop off level 100 monsters.  Having to hide in a corner to mail off or spam the AH with inventory junk to make room is not fun gameplay.

- The strongest monsters should all be gated behind some sort of grouping system with need/greed scripts.  If we're not going to have a level cap (making it practically impossible to balance content), it should be so tedious to level that there becomes a soft cap that's very hard to get beyond.  Of course, you would need active moderation again to enforce AFKing on any new server. 

I could think of a million changes that could come with a client update, but these are possible fixes than can be done within the item and mob editors.

Pennywise - 7 Seconds - Fugazi - Husker Du

Cedric83 wrote:

I would like to know how Faldon died, that intrigues me a lot

Old age, power gap, cheating, lack of moderation, lack of development, oversaturation in the market...Take your pick.  The game never had what people would consider a large player base.  It's been well over 15 years since there's been close to 100 characters on at once.

Pennywise - 7 Seconds - Fugazi - Husker Du

Remember when the server used to crash every time the 105th player would join?