1

Topic: durability

i thing when ever you repair an item the max dura should go down a bit so that person wont have the item for ever and will have more of a purpose to gain gold

2

Re: durability

no

3

Re: durability

Forest Haven wrote:

no

why not?? it gives money more of a use

4

Re: durability

dumb idea, i got some nice pre/suf items and i will not be eventally losing them cause i cant repair to max dura

5

Re: durability

Sykes wrote:

dumb idea, i got some nice pre/suf items and i will not be eventally losing them cause i cant repair to max dura

And that is why there's so many items, they never decay. I would very much like to have Tinker lower max dura a little bit for each repair but the majority of the players will not like it.

6

Re: durability

If you made Rick buy for more GP.. And offer more quests with somewhat higher % chance on items , I don't think there should be a problem by nerfing Tinker

7

Re: durability

items wouldn't have to decay if you could get decent gp for em at npc

8

Re: durability

Mr Spy wrote:
Sykes wrote:

dumb idea, i got some nice pre/suf items and i will not be eventally losing them cause i cant repair to max dura

And that is why there's so many items, they never decay. I would very much like to have Tinker lower max dura a little bit for each repair but the majority of the players will not like it.


there wouldnt be too many items if more then 10 people played for the last 12 years?

Best Player Alive.

9

Re: durability

eddie is right !

meeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!

10

Re: durability

Kr0nic wrote:
Mr Spy wrote:
Sykes wrote:

dumb idea, i got some nice pre/suf items and i will not be eventally losing them cause i cant repair to max dura

And that is why there's so many items, they never decay. I would very much like to have Tinker lower max dura a little bit for each repair but the majority of the players will not like it.


there wouldnt be too many items if more then 10 people played for the last 12 years?

   


agree

11

Re: durability

Lets have old uncle Mumblee give a history lesson:

It used to be the case that useful items were much much more rare, but blacksmiths could fully repair them.  This worked well on old client, and the game had a relatively vibrant economy.  When the current client was being made, Zer decided he wanted to try something different, so he switched to an economy based on higher drop rates but using decay to keep inflation in check.  It made it easier to get items, but over time they wore out and eventually broke.  This system was not bad at the start of this client, although it also meant players got a lot more unusable garbage.  Then one day a couple years into the client a Gm decided to create Tinker.  As you can imagine, a decay based economy where nothing ever decayed didn't work.  It single handedly screwed up the economy in more ways than one.

Flash forward a few months and a new Gm recognizes the problem and removes Tinker.  There is great outrage, because in the intervening months the player base had become addicted to Tinker like it was heroin.  They had no memory of the days before Tinker, when the economy wasn't broken, all they knew was that they needed another hit of Tinker's repairs.  Many players threatened to quit over this great outrage, this immense wrong that was being forced upon them.  Swear as they might that they were going to leave unless it was returned, they didn't quit.  Tinker isn't what makes the game fun to play, and maybe that's what they realized.  Or maybe it's just the case that they were more addicted to Faldon than to Tinker.

Go forward a bit again, and another new Gm comes along who happens to be a bit too buddy-buddy with some of the players who are still going on about the loss of their beloved economy-breaking NPC.  He decides that he's going to cave to the will of the addicts and give them what they want, rather than doing what was responsible for the economy.  He rallies the players in support of his cause, and Tinker is brought back.  Faldon is worse of the wear.

And here we are today.

Spy, as long as you don't have the "Other" Gm to bend to the shortsighted will of the player base and act as your foil, you should make that change.  They'll bitch and they'll moan about it, claim that you're ruining everything, etc etc.  But in the end it'll be a positive change, and once they realize that items are decaying for EVERYONE, they'll get back to enjoying the game the way this client was designed.

12

Re: durability

Mumblee wrote:

Lets have old uncle Mumblee give a history lesson:

It used to be the case that useful items were much much more rare, but blacksmiths could fully repair them.  This worked well on old client, and the game had a relatively vibrant economy.  When the current client was being made, Zer decided he wanted to try something different, so he switched to an economy based on higher drop rates but using decay to keep inflation in check.  It made it easier to get items, but over time they wore out and eventually broke.  This system was not bad at the start of this client, although it also meant players got a lot more unusable garbage.  Then one day a couple years into the client a Gm decided to create Tinker.  As you can imagine, a decay based economy where nothing ever decayed didn't work.  It single handedly screwed up the economy in more ways than one.

Flash forward a few months and a new Gm recognizes the problem and removes Tinker.  There is great outrage, because in the intervening months the player base had become addicted to Tinker like it was heroin.  They had no memory of the days before Tinker, when the economy wasn't broken, all they knew was that they needed another hit of Tinker's repairs.  Many players threatened to quit over this great outrage, this immense wrong that was being forced upon them.  Swear as they might that they were going to leave unless it was returned, they didn't quit.  Tinker isn't what makes the game fun to play, and maybe that's what they realized.  Or maybe it's just the case that they were more addicted to Faldon than to Tinker.

Go forward a bit again, and another new Gm comes along who happens to be a bit too buddy-buddy with some of the players who are still going on about the loss of their beloved economy-breaking NPC.  He decides that he's going to cave to the will of the addicts and give them what they want, rather than doing what was responsible for the economy.  He rallies the players in support of his cause, and Tinker is brought back.  Faldon is worse of the wear.

And here we are today.

Spy, as long as you don't have the "Other" Gm to bend to the shortsighted will of the player base and act as your foil, you should make that change.  They'll bitch and they'll moan about it, claim that you're ruining everything, etc etc.  But in the end it'll be a positive change, and once they realize that items are decaying for EVERYONE, they'll get back to enjoying the game the way this client was designed.

mumblee.... i luv you:P just cause you made a more detail reason... cause i remember when they did decay it was alot more fun

13

Re: durability

agree

14

Re: durability

Mumblee you are wrong, removing tinker would be bad. The problem is that for years there was no way of selling rare drops, only way to sell them is to players. So every drop was kept in play, that meant the more time that passed the more build up of items there would be. People have like 5 mourning stars and 5 sword of kings, because you couldn't sell them to npc. Now you can though but the amount of gp given is stupidly low, so people still won't sell them. You barely get 20k for a 0.003% drop, which can take weeks to get

15

Re: durability

Sykes wrote:

The problem is that for years there was no way of selling rare drops, only way to sell them is to players. So every drop was kept in play, that meant the more time that passed the more build up of items there would be. People have like 5 mourning stars and 5 sword of kings, because you couldn't sell them to npc.

Without Tinker, The above would not have happened...

16

Re: durability

it would have rob, because people leveled in claymores, and those items were pk strict items. nobody kiled the dura on anything remotely good

Last edited by Kr0nic (August 26th, 2011 6:47 AM)

Best Player Alive.

17

Re: durability

There is a new poll at the duel zone/war zone sign about this, so log in and vote~

*stalks forum goers*

18

Re: durability

Kr0nic, I think you're right that claymores were sort of a confounding variable there - as a player and then later as a Gm I repeatedly asked to have them nerfed a little bit to help balance, but that didn't happen.

That said, I don't agree with your conclusion that they would have stopped decay, I think they would have just slowed it a little.

19

Re: durability

Mumblee wrote:

Kr0nic, I think you're right that claymores were sort of a confounding variable there - as a player and then later as a Gm I repeatedly asked to have them nerfed a little bit to help balance, but that didn't happen.

That said, I don't agree with your conclusion that they would have stopped decay, I think they would have just slowed it a little.

your right even if they did make them decay but slow it down a bit would be more of an approvement to the economy then what is happening atm

20

Re: durability

Ill quit the game should this happen, Quit last time Tinker was removed, ill quit this time if its removed/nerfed.

In Game Characters
Alcatraz, Magisturm, Superscriber/Flamethrower.

21

Re: durability

Magis wrote:

Ill quit the game should this happen, Quit last time Tinker was removed, ill quit this time if its removed/nerfed.


Mumblee look, someone crying about bettering the game.... AGAIN.

Best Player Alive.

22

Re: durability

...Or you could simply wipe the fucking client and get rid of all of the gm spawned/duped items that were acquired over time...because all of the sudden these great items appear out of "no where"...get real. and mumblee...taking tinker out was a stupid idea to begin with, EVERY GAME OUT THERE HAS A REPAIR SYSTEM WHERE YOU CAN REPAIR ITEMS TO MAX DURABILITY, durability on items isn't the problem...

23

Re: durability

OreoTyler wrote:

...Or you could simply wipe the fucking client and get rid of all of the gm spawned/duped items that were acquired over time...because all of the sudden these great items appear out of "no where"...get real. and mumblee...taking tinker out was a stupid idea to begin with, EVERY GAME OUT THERE HAS A REPAIR SYSTEM WHERE YOU CAN REPAIR ITEMS TO MAX DURABILITY, durability on items isn't the problem...

I also suggested that they wipe, but that went over even less well than nerfing claymores.   tongue

Regarding the system that other games use, I'd say that you're making a broad generalization there.  More importantly, though, is the point that other games don't have items flow into their economy as easily as Faldon does.  You can't just sit around and AFK camp and get leet gear in WoW, you have to run instanced content and fight bosses.  I actually mentioned this at the start of my big post - the old system of Faldon did allow for full repairs, but the tradeoff was that items were much more rare.  That system worked well, but for this client Zer explicitly set out to try something different - using a decay based economy.

24

Re: durability

Mumblee wrote:
OreoTyler wrote:

...Or you could simply wipe the fucking client and get rid of all of the gm spawned/duped items that were acquired over time...because all of the sudden these great items appear out of "no where"...get real. and mumblee...taking tinker out was a stupid idea to begin with, EVERY GAME OUT THERE HAS A REPAIR SYSTEM WHERE YOU CAN REPAIR ITEMS TO MAX DURABILITY, durability on items isn't the problem...

I also suggested that they wipe, but that went over even less well than nerfing claymores.   tongue

Regarding the system that other games use, I'd say that you're making a broad generalization there.  More importantly, though, is the point that other games don't have items flow into their economy as easily as Faldon does.  You can't just sit around and AFK camp and get leet gear in WoW, you have to run instanced content and fight bosses.  I actually mentioned this at the start of my big post - the old system of Faldon did allow for full repairs, but the tradeoff was that items were much more rare.  That system worked well, but for this client Zer explicitly set out to try something different - using a decay based economy.


Which failed miserably.

Best Player Alive.

25

Re: durability

Get rid of tinker and allow duping... problem solved!... o wait.. yikes

I don't question my sexuality, my sexuality questions me.
Self Gratification is God's greatest gift to man.
Single Male looking for a Female... My standards are 8 to 80, blind crippled or crazy... occasionally fat and lazy...