1

Topic: Zers First Project - the odyssey

http://libertyarchives.info/odyssey/pro … uild19.jpg

(screenshot above of zer talking in the game he worked on with bugaboo)

http://libertyarchives.info/odyssey/pro … l_classic/

Great memories of being a kid...

it's too bad this is abandoned.

2

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

I remember playing that.  I wasn't aware that Zer had developed it.  I knew he played and I knew the name Faldon was an homage.  Cool post.

Pennywise - 7 Seconds - Fugazi - Husker Du

3

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

John did quite a bit of the art, I hosted the server and did a lot of map (and other) editing, promotion of the game etc., but I didn't do any of the coding. I wouldn't say I developed it. I started working on my own games when I got banned for being a corrupt GM.

4

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Holy shit its James.

How have you been? Any chance on you wanting to answer a few questions of the state of Faldon while you are here?

5

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Mister Rob wrote:

Holy shit its James.

How have you been? Any chance on you wanting to answer a few questions of the state of Faldon while you are here?

Maybe 7 years later...

6

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Zer wrote:

John did quite a bit of the art, I hosted the server and did a lot of map (and other) editing, promotion of the game etc., but I didn't do any of the coding. I wouldn't say I developed it. I started working on my own games when I got banned for being a corrupt GM.

I assume, that by (and other) you mean scripting on the maps with the scripting engine? I always wondered if it inspired your scripting engine in Faldon. Also, I am sure you mean corrupt God big_smile

The Odyssey, and Faldon ... the two games that encompass my childhood. The Odyssey was an amazing game, really fun.. and what started my interest in coding/hacking (security).

One of my earliest memories of the game was chatting with Bugaboo when he got bit by a tick, and was considering burning it out.

Good memories, eh? Figured you'd enjoy that old screenshot.

*edit* ... after The Odyssey / Faldon.... it was Lineage 1 for years.... the only 3 games that i've been interested in... even now... I develop and run a Lineage private server.

Last edited by Angeldust (July 30th, 2019 9:46 PM)

7

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Well Sir James, if you decide to look back at this post, there is a new project in development with Ody to completely rewrite the game in a different language, new server & client, new (and old) art, yadda yadda. Part of this new project is attempting to properly attribute everyone whom ever contributed to the development of the game.

So I see john did some work, which probably still exists in the new client... but did you have a hand in designing any of his art with him? Or any of the original skill/spell scripting?

(I was Christian back then, attributed for art in Smithy's client)

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.

8

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Hi Zur. No, I don't remember doing any of the art or scripting for Odyssey, except for the old 'pregnant tomato' thief class. I only did maps, objects, monsters, and quests if I remember right.

Good luck with it.

I will say though, the 'remake' bit, if you're going 90% of the way to doing a new server and client for Odyssey, why not go the other 10% of the way and put new art and content in it and make it a whole new game instead of having to chase down obscure copyright risks smile You can take inspiration from a game without having to be constrained by its design decisions.

9

Re: Zers First Project - the odyssey

Zer wrote:

I will say though, the 'remake' bit, if you're going 90% of the way to doing a new server and client for Odyssey, why not go the other 10% of the way and put new art and content in it and make it a whole new game instead of having to chase down obscure copyright risks smile You can take inspiration from a game without having to be constrained by its design decisions.

Indeed... that was our idea with the Faldon shard we had made (we had assumed you weren't coming back... welcome back btw!) That was why we addded things like Magic Item Find % and Paragon levels to the 'other Faldon'.

By the way shoot me a discord or email if you wanted to talk about things. Look forward to seeing good things!

Last edited by Catbert (July 25th, 2020 4:55 PM)